Real life Mac Gyverisms and more.

Welcome to my blog

Feel free to explore, comment and interact.


Jansjö on steroids

Remember my broken Jansjö work lamp from Ikea?

The clamp snapped and I was left with a flexible lamp with nothing to connect it to…

Then I remembered that I have these lying around.

These clamps were used for umbrellas for the balcony.

But I had a better idea.

First a little JB Weld and a fitting nut at the top…

Resolder the wires and run them through the inside.

And lastly….

…getting the colour scheme right.

Better than the original. 😀


Furniture from salvaged hardwood boards.

I had a pile of salvaged glossy white hardwood panels.

I was surprised to see how easily it all came together.

What do you think?

A little Ikea hacking

I love those Jansjö led lamps.

I have one on my bandsaw and one at my desk for soldering.

Sadly the clamp decided to break.

Even if I glued it using epoxy, I’m sure that it would break somewhere else because I assume that this part is engineered to fail.

I freed the lamp from the broken clamp and am looking for a place to permanently attach it to.

But I already know what I can do with these suction cups.

Get some superglue.

Glue them as shown…

…so that both sides are level.

Put one side on the screen…

…and the other half on a smooth surface.

Take your selfies hands free. B)

Coming soon…

Here are a few photos of projects to come.

I can’t wait to see them finished. 🙂

You can do nothing with half a grill? 

Except make a awesome fire basket. 🙂

Restoring a old fan

A couple of days ago, my neighbour was throwing away his old fan.
I asked him if I could have it for the parts and he gladly handed it over.


After opening the controls, I realised quickly that I just needed to resolder some existing connections.


I completely disassembled the fan, put the housing and all non electrical parts in the dishwasher to remove the caked on dust.


I then decided to repaint the entire device.


I replaced the broken base with a modified board originally used for  wheeling plant pots.


The result speaks for itself.


DIY Kitchen Shelf

Well. This one does explain itself. I used some scrap wood from an old wardrobe I disassembled years ago, cut the Base to fit over my heater and added angled uprights to store my cookbooks.

The wood was originally light brown so I painted the parts with whitewash before assembling it all.

It turned out better than I thought.


All it took was some wood and four screws.